There’s more to account management than meeting deliverables and checking off your to-do list. Communication is the foundation of becoming a valued member of your client service team. Therefore, relationship building and establishing effective lines of daily communication is vital.
Understanding how to best convey information to your client can create their trust in your ability to achieve results on-time, on-budget, and on-trend. Here are strategies that are easy to apply in your daily client relations that can help take your communication to the next step.
- Standardize communication methods: Every company uses different methods and programs to optimize internal communication, and it’s just important to set similar practices when working with your clients. Determine how and when certain types of information will be communicated and stay consistent with them to streamline expectations. For example: use a project tracker to reflect/ monitor workloads, lead weekly client calls to review deliverables and assess progress, send thorough call recap notes for alignment on details, and commit to monthly reporting.
- Maintain regular communication: Weekly calls and daily touch points are a guaranteed way to ease any doubt or fears in a client’s mind about how a project is progressing, this will minimize tedious back and forth and ensure you and your client are on the same page.
- Keep it clear: Nowadays it’s common for your clients and partners to be in different cities, countries or even continents! It’s important to make the most of your email and phone etiquette. Overloading your client with information in long winded emails and voicemails can prevent productivity; keeping it simple, clear and to the point is a great way to cut through the noise and ensure your client knows exactly what you are telling them.
- Use words of confirmation: Sometimes it can feel like you and your client are playing a game of broken telephone. Misunderstanding can happen that can hinder the overall performance of a project. But when they do, remember to take a step back and ensure you and your client are aligned. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and get clear confirmations. Send emails to clarify the unknown and to guarantee you have the correct information: ‘Just to clarify, would you like the legal lines added to this image?’ This will show your client that you’re a good listener, detail-oriented and that you ultimately share the same goals.
- Follow up promptly: It’s vital to close the loop on communication with clients. A concise follow up email with words of confirmation is a great way to secure your clients confidence in your capability and let them know that you understand their goals and needs.
Be sure to integrate these effective tips and tricks to optimize your day to day client communication. This will not only benefit the relationship you have with your client but will lead to smooth sailing in your work day with increased productivity and results driven success!